Man who assaulted boy in elevator is no longer CEO of The Prive Group, Courts & Crime News & Top Stories


SINGAPORE – A man who slammed and assaulted a 13-year-old boy in an elevator is no longer the managing director of food and beverage company The Prive Group.

In a Facebook post on Friday, October 22, the company said French national Vu Han Jean-Luc Kha, 44, would no longer hold the post “with immediate effect.”

After his conviction on Thursday, The Prive Group made a statement that day saying he was still its CEO and helped him “stay afloat amid ongoing (Covid-19) restrictions”.

His spokesperson also said: “(Kha) remains a valued member of our management team and enjoys our full and unwavering support.”

Unhappy with the comments, several netizens torched the company because they felt it continued to support Kha despite its breaches. Some even said they would boycott its restaurants.

In its statement on Friday, The Prive Group has now said it strongly condemns his actions and all acts of violence, adding: “(We) would like to reassure the public that their personal actions in no way reflect our core values.

“We are pleased that he is currently seeking the necessary treatment for his mental health and believe that the Singapore justice system will impose the necessary penalties.”

On Thursday, Kha pleaded guilty in district court to one count of assault and harassment.

Deputy Attorney General Goh Yong Ngee said the victim, who cannot be named due to a gag order, and her then 12-year-old brother were in an elevator at Parklane Mall in Selegie Road on November 22, 2019. , when he stopped on the fifth floor around 8:15 p.m.

A drunken Kha and a 41-year-old Singaporean joined the two boys in the elevator. Kha addressed obscene comments to the victim who felt alarmed.

Kha then assaulted the older boy “for no apparent reason,” the DPP said.

The other man held Kha back and pushed him out of the elevator after he stopped on the first floor. But Kha refused to leave and continued to assault the victim.

A male witness then alerted the police.

Defense attorney Teh Ee-Von on Thursday asked District Judge Lim Tse Haw to request a report to assess his client’s fitness for a mandatory treatment order (MTO) because he had been diagnosed of bipolar disorder.

Offenders who receive an MTO will receive treatment for their mental disorder in lieu of jail time.

Arguing against the defense demand, DPP Goh said, “Rehabilitation can also take place in prison.

Judge Lim did not request an adequacy report from MTO on Thursday and Kha is expected to be sentenced on December 14.

For assault, an offender can be jailed for up to two years and fined up to $ 5,000.

For harassment, an offender can be jailed for up to six months and fined up to $ 5,000.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.