Surveillance video shows moments leading up to the fatal shooting in the French Quarter

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) – An argument captured on surveillance video led to a fatal shooting in which the suspect casually walked away from the victim as he bled on Sunday night in the French Quarter.

This happened at the corner of Burgundy and Conti streets, outside the Three-Legged Dog bar on January 9.

At around 10:30 p.m., two men can be seen on surveillance video outside the bar exchanging words. Cars pass and the atmosphere is tense; the two face each other, but neither has exchanged blows yet.

As a woman watches from the bottom of the block, the victim, dressed in a black shirt, enters to punch the suspect.

The suspect, dressed in a blue or gray jacket, shoots the man as he tries to punch him. The shooter then casually walks away, while the Speed ​​Woman walks away.

CRIME TRACKER

Suspect, wanted vehicle in Mid City carjacking with child sleeping in backseat

Four people shot dead in New Orleans on Friday identified by parish coroner

Woman narrowly survives an attempted hijacking and shooting on Freret St.

The New Orleans Police Department is investigating the shooting and detectives scoured the area Monday morning.

Business owners and nearby residents have said the area attracts more and more crime. A business owner said he saw shootings, car hijackings, thefts and drug trafficking around the corner. In some cases he says he had to come out on his own and chase people away.

Recently, the French Quarter Management District has been prepared to put officers on the streets, through the collection of a special sales tax to help fund additional police officers in the neighborhood and $ 600,000 in funding from New Orleans & Company. to complete the agents for six months.

But the plan has been put on hold as the city administration is reviewing it to verify compliance with the city’s charter of autonomy and the NOPD’s consent decree.

New Orleans Police(WVUE-TV)

“About a month ago the administration asked us to slow down while they worked on some things, wanting to understand if there was a potential conflict with the consent decree,” said Christian Pendleton of the French Quarter Management. District. “We have tried to be a very good partner for NOPD and to listen to their concerns, and we are trying to address them as best we can.”

NOPD operated under the consent decree since 2012. The Consent Order is a wide range of distinct tasks and goals the department must align with in order to receive federal funding.

The Justice Department released a report criticizing the NOPD in 2011 for unconstitutional conduct. Since then, the ministry has implemented changes.

Neighbors in the area said they understood the need for a scan, but couldn’t wait any longer.

“The employees, the residents, the business owners, they get very anxious,” Pendleton said. “They want these street patrols, and I think we need to do it as quickly as possible. We want to do it right, we certainly want to be responsible, but we can’t hear a lot of requests for delays anymore. We just have to do this.

When contacted for an update on the status of patrols, New Orleans Director of Communications Beau Tidwell made the following statement:

“The City of New Orleans and the NOPD welcome the much needed additional public safety resources that the French Quarter Management District has brought to the table. What was initially proposed by the FQMD and NOCO does not comply with either the Home Rule Charter or the Federal Consent Decree. We will therefore have to find an alternative arrangement to the one proposed. We are working with the FQMD to deploy these resources as quickly as possible within the parameters of the law.

Do you see a spelling or grammar mistake in our story? Click here to report it. Please include the title.

Copyright 2022 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.