Tar Heels Set To Tip Off vs NC A&T
CHAPEL HILL, NC – Tuesday is a long-awaited day for the UNC women’s basketball team. Yes, the Tar Heels will kick off the highly anticipated 2021-22 season by hosting North Carolina A&T at 4:30 p.m. at Carmichael Arena.
But they will also, after a season of restricted attendance, welcome the fans again.
“Opening days are always exciting, but even more so at the end of a Covid year,” said UNC coach Courtney banghart, who is in his third season at the helm of Tar Heel. “Due to the uniqueness of last year, only three players on our roster experienced how much fun it is to play in front of fans at Carmichael – the rest are either new this year or freshmen last year. .
“We all look forward to welcoming the Tar Heel faithful again tomorrow, while honoring our incredible faculty and staff, and finally starting this season.”
Tuesday is Faculty and Staff Appreciation Day. Professors and staff always enter Carmichael for free with a UNC OneCard, but the first 250 will also receive a $ 5 discount voucher.
It is also the first set of nine games with a design of Jordans for students at UNC. A lucky student will win a pair of Jordans.
— Carolina Women's Basketball (@uncwbb) November 6, 2021
Fans can also enjoy a unique campus basketball doubles program, with the men’s team announcing the Hubert davis at 7 p.m. against Loyola (Md.) at the Smith Center. The first 125 students from UNC to Carmichael will be able to participate in the Fever March, with reserved seats at the Smith Center pending the conclusion of the women’s basketball game.
🚨DOUBLEHEADER ALERT!🚨 Come out tomorrow to Carmichael at 4:30pm to see @uncwbb and earn 2 points, then head down to the Smith Center with us for 1 point at @UNC_Basketball's game at 7pm! pic.twitter.com/rWyxJaBLVZ
— Carolina Fever (@carolinafever) November 8, 2021
The game will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra here.
UNC vs. North Carolina A&T
The Tar Heels and Aggies have only met twice, with UNC winning both at Carmichael by a margin of over 50 points.
• The last meeting was held on November 21, 2000, in Chapel Hill. In the home opener for Carolina (after starting the season with two road games), the Tar Heels beat the Aggies 101-33.
The 2021-22 season is North Carolina A & T’s first as a member of the Deep South after playing the past six seasons in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• Like the Tar Heels, North Carolina A&T competed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament in San Antonio, Texas. The Aggies, 14-3 overall last season, hit the field by winning an automatic bid as the MEAC champion.
• The Aggies were selected to finish fourth in the Deep South.
• Chanin Scott, a graduate student who started her career at Georgia Tech, led the team in scoring last season with 14.3 points per game and rebounds at 8.6 per game. Second year care Sean kelly Darks was the only player to start all 17 games last season, when she averaged 10.5 points as a true rookie.
• Senior goalie Kennedy Boyd played the 2018-19 season at UNC.
Tuesday’s game kicks off a trio of clashes in the state to open Carolina’s season. After hosting the Aggies, the Tar Heels travel to Charlotte to face the 49ers on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. After that, the UNC returns home to host Appalachian State on November 17 at 6 p.m.